Banglalink (Bengali: বাংলালিংক) is one of the leading GSM mobile companies in Bangladesh. Originally starting its service as Sheba Telecom in 1997 under the parentship of a Bangladesh-Malaysia joint venture, the company struggled hard competing with Grameenphone. Later in 2005, Sheba was fully rebranded as Banglalink.
- 1989: Sheba Telecom (Pvt.) Ltd. was granted license by the BTCL to operate in selected 199 Upazilas.
- 1996: Sheba Telecom (Pvt.) Ltd. obtains GSM license to provide mobile services.
- Late 1997: Sheba Telecom launched its operation for the first time as a Bangladesh-Malaysia joint venture.
- July 2004: Egypt-based Orascom Telecom purchased the Malaysian stakes.
- September 2004: Orascom Telecom purchased 100% of Sheba Telecom (Pvt.) Ltd.'s share for US$60 million (approx ৳345 crore).
- 10 February 2005: Sheba Telecom was fully rebranded to Banglalink, with a new license to provide service throughout the country.
- October 2007: BTRC fined Banglalink ৳1.25 billion for its involvement in illegal VoIP or call termination business.
- March 2008: Sheba Telecom (Pvt.) Ltd.'s name changed to Orascom Telecom Bangladesh Limited.
- 2012: Orascom Telecom merges with Vimplecom Ltd. creating Global Telecom Holding.
|Network Operators in Bangladesh|
|Mobile Networks|| |